Decade ago the Asian Lions Sri Lanka managed to sweep off the Englishmen above the floor in the home soil of the hosts. The last ODI of the 5 match series was played at Headingley which witnessed Sri Lanka chasing down a mammoth target of 322 in just 37.3 overs boasting of a world record opening stand of 286 between Tharanga and Jayasuriya – a record that still stands.
But when we look at the ongoing season for the Lankans, it seems quite miserable and pretty frustrating and why not, two successive white-wash and that too at your own soil is the most humiliating and disappointing nightmare a team can ever dream.
Let’s have a quick but brief look at what records and stats were broken, made and updated in this series which has still one more game to played.
- 132* by Dhawan is the highest by an Indian in a run chase in ODIs in Sri Lanka.
- Fewest overs to chase down 200+ target (full 50 overs ODIs):
20.3 WI v Can, Centurion, 2003
26.0 Aus v Ban, Dhaka, 2011
26.2 Pak v Ind, Lahore, 1997
28.5 Ind v Sri Lanka, Dambulla, 2017
- Sri Lanka played 800th ODI and lost it, just like Australia, India & Pakistan.
- India won their seventh successive bilateral series against Sri Lanka.
- MS Dhoni equaled the record for most not-outs in ODIs with Chaminda Vaas & Shaun Pollock with 72 unbeaten innings each.
- MS Dhoni became India’s fourth leading run-getter in ODIs.
- 300 Wickets for Malinga, also achieved golden duck on captaincy debut.
- Kohli scores 30th ODI century, just behind legendary Sachin Tendulkar (49 Hundreds).
- MS Dhoni – first WK to effect 100 stumpings in ODIs.