We know FC Barcelona as the ones who make some sensible signings in the transfer market which suit their playing style. Were they successful this year ?
Let’s have a look at how FC Barcelona fared in the Summer Transfer Window 2017/18.
TRANSFERS IN :
- Ousmane Dembele (20) | Winger (LW) | From Borussia Dortmund (€105 Millions)
- Paulinho (29) | Midfielder (CM) | From Guangzhou Evergrande (€40 Millions)
- Nelson Semedo (23) | Defender (RB) | From Benefica (€30.5 Millions)
- Gerard Deulofeu (23) | Winger (LW) | From Everton (€12 Millions)
- Marlon (21) | Defender (CB) | From Fluminense (€5 Millions)
- Cristian Tello (25) | Winger (LW) | From Fiorentina (End of Loan)
- Munir El Haddadi (21) | Winger (RW) | From Valencia CF (End of Loan)
- Thomas Vermaelen (31) | Defender (CB) | From AS Roma (End of Loan)
- Douglas (26) | Defender (RB) | From Sporting Gijon (End of Loan)
- Sergi Samper (22) | Midfielder (CDM) | From Granada CF (End of Loan)
Total Amount Spent : €192.5 Millions
Total Market Value of Arrivals : €110 Millions
TRANSFERS OUT :
- Neymar Jr. (25) | Winger (LW) | To Paris St. Germain (€222 Millions)
- Cristian Tello (25) | Winger (LW) | To Real Betis (€4 Millions)
- Jordi Masip (28) | GoalKeeper | To Real Valladolid (Free Transfer)
- Jeremy Mathieu (33) | Defender (CB) | To Sporting CP (Free Transfer)
- Douglas (26) | Defender (RB) | To Benefica (Loan)
- Sergi Samper (22) | Midfielder (CDM) | To UD Las Palmas (Loan)
- Marlon (21) | Defender (CB) | To OGC Nice (Loan)
- Munir El Haddadi (21) | Winger (RW) | To Alaves (Loan)
Total Amount Recieved : €226 Millions
Total Market Value of Departures : €131 Millions
Barcelona did not perform upto the mark in this transfer window, the main reason being their failure to bring their prime targets Coutinho and Verrati to Camp Nou. Neymar’s departure has left a big hole in the team which is very difficult to fill, given Neymar is one of the finalists for The FIFA Best Player Award. They made a big money signing in the form of Ousmane Dembele as his replacement, but his injury has made situations worse for the team. The other signings, namely Semedo, Paulinho and Deulofeu have performed above expectations which is good, but still this is just the start of the season and we cannot predict anything at this point of time. Nelson Semedo can be termed Barcelona’s best signing this season.
Overall, Barcelona did not get rid of the players who were underperforming and also failed to lure their prime targets. Given Dembele’s injury, Barcelona can be termed LOSERS of the Summer Transfer Window 2017/18.