Indian pacer Mohammed Shami’s central contract was withheld by the BCCI after his wife, Hasin Jahan accused him of domestic violence and adultery. Last year, Shami’s name was in Grade B but this year, when he must have been expecting a rise in his salary, the latest family fracas has hurt his chances.
The cricketer from Uttar Pradesh, was recently in the spotlight when Jahan posted screenshots of alleged conversations between him and other women on her Facebook page. She also shared photos of the fast bowler as “evidence” to support her allegations. She also alleged that Shami’s family members tried to kill her and had tortured her for more than two years.
“The BCCI has taken cognizance of all the reports emerging about Mohammed Shami’s personal life. It is purely a personal matter and the BCCI has nothing to do with it. However, keeping in mind that the woman in question has met the police commissioner of Kolkata, it is only prudent on BCCI’s part to wait for an official inquiry to take place,” the official said.
“Hence Mohammed Shami’s name, for the time being, has been withheld from the central contracts that were announced today. We would like to reiterate this decision has nothing to do with Shami’s merit as a player but a safeguard in the prevailing circumstances,” he added.
Shami, who is in Dharamsala playing the Deodhar Trophy, denied the allegations. “Whatever is being said about my personal life is completely false. It’s definitely a part of a big conspiracy against me. This is just an attempt to defame me,” he said on Twitter.
I’m Mohammad Shami.
Ye jitna bhi news hamara personal life ke bare may chal raha hai, ye sab sarasar jhut hai, ye koi bahut bada humare khilap sajish hai or ye mujhe Badnam karne or mera game kharab karne ka kosis ki ja rahi hai.
— Mohammad Shami (@MdShami11) March 7, 2018